Pineapple tarts are pieces of cookies filled with pineapple filling. In Singapore, we celebrate Chinese New Year (CNY) with this cookie without fail together with all the other CNY cookies.
There are 2 types of pineapple tarts – the open-faced Nonya ones and the closed up Indonesian pineapple tarts. This recipe is for the Indonesian type which uses butter to make the dough soft enough to enable one to close up the tarts. They have a crumbly and buttery texture.
The below recipe is adapted from Culinary Hobby Class (~year 1997).
Prep time: 1 hour
Bake time: 30 mins
Yield: 40 pieces
Ingredients for the Pineapple Tarts’ Dough:
- 250 g Butter
- 50 g Sugar
- 375g Plain flour
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp Emplex (to have a crispy texture)
- Few drops Lemon yellow coloring
- Ready made pineapple filling (Redman brand)
Ingredients for the egg wash / glazing
- 1 Egg yolk
- Drops of Lemon yellow coloring
Method to make the Pineapple tarts:
- Cream the butter, sugar, emplex and coloring at low speed until creamy.
- Add in the egg yolk.
- Add in the sieved flour to form a dough and cover with a wet towel. Set aside for 10-15 mins.
- Allocate 12 g of dough and 8 g of filling for a tart
- Flatten the dough and top up with the filling and close up the dough. Roll into ball shape using the palm of your hand.
- Brush with egg wash / glaze and bake at 140-150 degree C in the lower rack until the tarts are browned, estimated around 20 mins or so.
- Give a second glaze with the egg wash and move to upper tray to bake for another 10 mins or until done.
Ingredients for the Pineapple filling (if you do not intend to buy the ready made filling)
- 800 g Grated pineapples (choose the raw / hard ones, about 1 1/2 pineapples)
- 70 g Sugar (either fine or coarse)
- 70 g Rock sugar
Method to make the pineapple filling:
- Grate the pineapples and drain with a sieve. (Wear gloves to grate the pineapples)
- Cook the pineapples in a non-stick wok using low fire for 10-15 mins before adding in the sugar
- Continue to cook until the mixture is dry and golden brown.
- The pineapple filling can be cooked and stored days ahead of the baking of the pineapple tarts.