Spinach in Broth. Spinach is quite a versatile vegetable so much so that it can either be eaten cooked or raw. It also has great nutritional value and contains lots of vitamins like most other leafy veggies. As a result it is good for eye health and is also an antioxidant.
There are many types of spinach. There are those with sharp pointed leaves one, those with rounded leaves, those with slightly red-stemmed leaves and baby spinach with short stems.
Spinach can be cooked in many ways – stir fry, boil as soup, include in salads and many more. If you need a quick 30 min meal or have to cook for children, you can refer to Baked Spinach and Cheese Quiche recipe.
Below is a recipe for cooking Spinach in homemade broth, and is adapted from Noobcook.
You can add in century eggs as an option too.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Ingredients to prepare for Spinach in Broth
- 300g Chinese spinach
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 50 g ikan bilis, rinsed
- 500 ml water (to make the broth)
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- Light soy sauce to taste, optional
Methods to cook the Spinach in Broth
Prepare the veggies and broth:
- Separate the spinach leaves from the stem. Cut the stems into 2 cm. Rinse and dry the vegetables.
- Put the ikan bilis in water in a pot and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Remove the ikan bilis from the pot and set aside the broth.
Cook the veggies:
- Heat oil in pan, add garlic and stir fry until fragrant or slightly brown.
- Add spinach stems and stir fry on high heat for about a minute before adding spinach leaves. Continue to stir fry till leaves just wilted.
- Pour the ikan bilis stock into the pan. Bring to a simmer for about a minute.
- Add Shaoxing wine and stir fry for few seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Season the broth with light soy sauce if needed.
- Add fried shallots as garnishing, if needed, to give a more flavorful taste