Steamed Pumpkin Cake is a typical traditional Chinese savoury snack. The pumpkin is sweet and added to the taste with a golden orange color which is also considered auspicious to the Chinese.
Prep time 1 hour
Cook time 1 hour
Serve 1 tray
Ingredients to make the Steamed Pumpkin Cake
- 500 g pumpkin, grated
- 100 g dried shrimp, chopped coarsely
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp shallot, minced
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 g rice flour, sifted
- 75 g tapioca flour, sifted
- 1 litre water
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp concentrated chicken stock
- Dash of ground white pepper
- 10 shallots (or more), peeled, sliced and deep fried
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 red chili, sliced (optional)
Prepare the ingredients
- Cut of the hard skin from the pumpkin and grate it into shreds.
- Soak the dried shrimps and mushrooms until soft. Drain and dice into smaller pieces. Chop the dried shrimps coarsely.
- Minced the garlic and the shallots.
Prepare the batter
- Mix both the rice flour and tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Add water gradually into bowl, stirring with the flour. Stir until mixture is watery and consistent.
- Add in the chicken stock, pepper and salt.
Prepare the garnishing
- Slice the shallots, and spring onions.
- Fry the shallots in the pan until slightly brown and crispy. Set aside for later use.
Cook the pumpkin cake
- Use the shallot infused oil to stir fry the garlic and dried shrimps until they are fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms and fry for few minutes.
- Add in the grated pumpkin and fry for few minutes, mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in the batter using a sieve to sieve away the lumps of flour.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Transfer the cooked mixture into a steaming tray and flatten the top of the mixture. Put into the steamer over boiling water and cook over high heat for 40 mins.
- Garnish the pumpkin cake with the fried shallots and spring onions while it is still hot. This will ensure that the shallots stick to the cake.
- Leave the tray of pumpkin cake to cool completely before cutting the cake. In this way, the cake will be firmer and hence easier for cutting.
- Serve the steamed pumpkin cake together with sweet chili sauce.
The prep time is long as the process of cutting and chopping is manual. Possibly can be shorter if some of these processes are automated, for example, use a automated chopper/blender, buy off the shelf fried shallots for the garnishing instead of homemade. Alternatively you can fried the shallots ahead of time and store them for later use.